Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Holiday Treasury


Well, I am very much still on a Treasury kick, but I think I'm going to dial it down after this week and do a Treasury on Tuesday once a week. (Tuesday is such a popular day for featuring Etsy that I thought I'd join the fun!)

This is my holiday treasury - I had a lot of fun with it, and it's silly, because I associate the holidays with silly fun times with old friends and family.

Top Row:

Bunny with a Toolbelt's Chrismukkah Decoration. The hilarity of it all. Why is the Jewish person blue like a Smurf? They don't have faces, but it's one of those examples of faceless art that works for me, instead of making me want to run away screaming. Like, people always say it's so sweet that the Amish don't put faces on their dolls because only God can make faces. And that's ok, if they believe that, but most of those dolls are terrifying, and I think that should be worked into the backstory of Dwight's character on The Office. It would explain so much . . . Anyway, these faceless interfaith little guys are cute, not creepy.



Paper Bella's Star of David Mobile. Ever since I went to The Monterey Bay Aquarium at the tender age of seven and brought home a whale mobile (different species!) that my dad carefully constructed for me, I have been obsessed with mobiles. I also think stars of David are beautiful, but I'm not allowed to have any, because I'm not Jewish and that would be poseurish. Maybe I could get this and hang it in the back of a closet . . .? No? Weird and creepy? Fine, but if you have an excuse to buy one, please do, because it's just too beautiful.




Recycled Part's 6 Pairs of Ice Skates. Ahhh! They're in the correct ROYGBIV order AND they're made from vintage materials! I want to snuggle with them. This seller states that, "All items in my shop are made of at least 80% recycled, up-cycled, reused, re-purposed, vintage and/or eco-friendly materials. Many items are 100%." That is so cool. I need to remember to actively seek out recycled and vintage options when I feel I must purchase something!




Second Row:


Timeless Paper's Snowflake Place Card. That Timeless Paper is sooo hot right now. And why not? Everything is so beautiful. Makes me want to shackle a man to me just for the place cards. And there's a new website to enjoy: www.timelesspaper.com. (P.S. No, really, I'm totally using the butterflies at my imaginary wedding. It's gonna rock.)





Pipoca Handmade's Holiday Animal Frame Ornament. Ok, so in this picture you see two little bears and a kitty cat. Do yourself a favor and click through to the owl! I think one of these would make an adorable first Christmas ornament for a new family member. Or any of the early Christmases, really.







Power and Light's WTFWJD Letterpressed Card. This is freaking hilarious. And seasonal! I am telling you, if I had my act together enough to send out holiday cards, this would have gone on to everyone it wouldn't have caused to cry. I showed this to my roommate Alison and she said, "I want a t-shirt with that on it." Well, Alison, you're in luck. Oh yeah.




Third Row:

Thymbyl Designs is on vacation till January 2010, so no close-up shot for the Hanukkah Gelt bags. Hmm, Hanukkah ends soon, does that mean there will be bags of chocolate gelt on sale? One can only hope . . .

Rae Dunn's Fortune Cookie Ornament. I love fortune cookies, they're so kitschy. I remember listening to a great piece interviewing Jennifer 8. Lee on NPR about the fact that Chinese fortune cookies are not Chinese at all, but an invention for the American market. She wrote a book on it that I still need/want to read: The Fortune Cookie Chronicles: Adventures in the World of Chinese Food.





Stil Novo Design's Green Ludwig Eco-friendly Menorah. From the Etsy listing: "Our exclusive green menorahs are entirely made of recycled white oak staves from French wine barrels." There is so much that I love in that sentence. Words like "green" and "recycled" and "white oak staves" and "French" and "wine barrels." Take the time to page through some of Stil Novo Design's other offerings, they're fantastic.



Last Row:

Melangerie NYC's Scratch and Sniff Holiday Card. These cards on now on sale! I don't have numbers on how long scratch and sniff stays good, but I distinctly remember picture books like Pat the Bunny holding up for at least a few years. So stock up now for next year! Or just send them throughout the year to confuse people. The scents are: sweet and minty candy canes, gingerbread fresh from the oven, and pine needles and winter snow. Great, now I want to drink French wine and eat gingerbread and fortune cookies. Damn you, Etsy.


Paper Acorn's Joy Luminary Set. Sometimes people like to refer to Colorado as the Southwest. And this is spot on if you're talking about Pueblo or Mesa Verde. Denver, Ft. Collins, Vail, Boulder, Colorado Springs? Not so much. But that's no reason not to have luminaries around for the holidays. Given the winds we get though, I don't recommend using paper and flame outdoors. So these are great - they have battery operated tea lights! I would keep this set safely inside in a window though, they're too cute to risk to the elements.






Gingiber's Happy Chrismakkuh Cards. I traded the image out for a Holly Jolly Hanukkah card, because the Chrismakkuh appear to be sold out! Go Gingiber! This is so cute and silly. Rudolph's antlers are a menorah. Bwhahahaha! Ok, this is probably offensive to people. Like, People Opposed to Lighting Candles on Quadrupeds' Heads. And I agree with their position. Except this a drawing! So it's ok.







What Etsy holiday goods are you loving?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for using my butterfly place cards at your imaginary wedding! Can't wait to see photos! ;) Come back soon.

    - Emily
    Timeless Paper
    www.timelesspaper.com/blog

    ReplyDelete