Sunday, December 20, 2009

Auschwitz Sign Located and Recovered





I heard a story yesterday on NPR that the famous Arbeit Macht Frei (literally work makes/equals freedom, or "work will set you free") sign over the entrance to Auschwitz was stolen. Completely freaked me out and made me super pissed off, so I sort of purposefully ignored it until I searched tonight and found this NYT story stating that it had been found (sawed into three words) and some men were being questioned.

Thank goodness. Really, who steals a sign off a concentration camp? Who?

Photo credit to -Alflickr- for KL Auschwitz I (Oświęcim). Thank you for licensing under Creative Commons so I could share your work on this blog! I felt the blue sky was appropriate because the sign's message is so creepily inaccurate.

1 comment:

  1. Feel free to use my CC pictures. As you say, the sign's message is horribly ironic.

    ReplyDelete